Spectrum crisis for wireless data communication
Wireless data connection (i.e., mobile internet) faces significant capacity issue.
Data transfer rate and amount of data through air become larger.
However, frequency spectrum to accommodate all the traffic is limited. : “spectrum crisis”
Two possible solutions
- Smaller cell site at radio access : denser radio network -> more femto or picocell in place -> ~10X improvement in network perforamance
- Better backhaul
* what is backhaul?
- System to get data from end users to major network (such as internet)
- Transmission of network data to alternative wireless router when normal router is unavailable
* Smaller cell site at radio access :
- denser radio network ->
- more femto or picocell in place ->
- ~10X improvement in network performance
- Managing interference with more radio site
- Handover between many tiny base station
* Backhaul improvement
- Should more load on backhaul, rather than air. Need to improve capacity/speed on the non-wireless part
Every small room will have base station sometime in the near future… Femtocell and Picocell business will be very promising..