Design Challenges for 22nm CMOS and Beyond (S.Barkar, Intel 2009 IEDM)
Past : segmented hardmacro functional block –> system is built using combination of those hardmacro with a bit of softmacro.
- relied upon custom design methodology for higher performance and smaller area.
- –> due to increasing design rule complexity, restrictions, and regularity –> little room to improve custom design
- custom design more focus on local design rather than global design –> sub optimal in overall sense.
- Future : System with soft macro only.
- in 22nm and beyond is System Design with design automation at all levels.
- Softmacro rather than hardmacro
- described at a higher level of abstraction, such as an RTL description.
- system can be built at a higher level of abstraction using these softcore functional blocks
- processors, bus, other functional blocks
- system is optimized using system level optimizer
- physical design is optimized as well.
- Custom design is limited to memory array, register files